Temporary Immigration

Remove the worries out of the immigration process.

Start your Consultation Today

Each year Canada admits millions and millions of visitors, students, and foreign workers under temporary immigration status.  In fact, Canada has an active foreign worker program that grants entry to foreign nationals and authorizes them for employment purposes. Immigration legislation was intended to facilitate the entry of business people and foreign workers who will strengthen the country’s economy.

As a general rule, foreign nationals seeking to perform work in Canada typically require a work permit to facilitate entry.  There are notable exceptions to this general rule, as not all business people and foreign workers seeking entry into Canada require an employment authorization.


Where work permits are required, Canada’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) has been re-organized into two distinct programs with major differences between the various streams.  The first stream allows foreign workers to enter Canada at the request of Canadian Employers but must follow the approval of a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).  The second stream does not require labour certification and includes the newly branded International Mobility Program (IMP).  This includes all those streams in which foreign nationals are not subject to an LMIA requirement.


Canada’s overhaul of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) has resulted in new regulatory changes that can be highly problematic for both businesses and foreign workers alike.  If you are a Company seeking to bring a foreign worker into Canada, it is important to ensure the strategy you utilize is sound and properly vetted, as legislative exemptions to the LMIA requirement still exist and should be used whenever possible.  You need to engage an experienced and capable immigration lawyer who can devise and execute comprehensive legal strategies that address both short term and long-term objectives.

The following are examples of many of the legal services we offer for Work Permits and other Temporary immigration applications:

  • Labour Market Impact Assessments – LMIA
  • Intra Company Corporate Transfers
  • Work Permit Applications using NAFTA
  • Work Permit Applications using GATTS
  • Work Permits Applications Under Canadian Interests
  • Work Permits for Investors and Entrepreneurs
  • All Other Work Permits under the International Mobility Program – Exempt from LMIA
  • Visitor Visas for Business and Tourism
  • Student Authorizations

Start your Consultation

Representing some of the worlds largest companies