As an experienced Paralegal, you will support Canadian immigration and related business engagements and contribute to the delivery of solutions and ideas for our diverse corporate and individual clients.
- Speaking with HR representatives of corporate clients and employees to obtain information to assist in drafting immigration applications
- Follow-up with applicants and HR contacts to obtain copies of visas/documents
- Learn basic immigration processing categories and requirements for each visa category and service we offer.
- On instruction from a firm lawyer, research current processing requirements at service centres/consulates etc.
- Collect information from HR contacts and individual applicants
- Using available resources, draft complete application packages for review by the supervising lawyer
- Prepare draft applications and submissions and/or make revisions to draft applications and submissions as required by any firm lawyer.
- Ensure that applications are filed in a timely manner
- Meet with lawyers to discuss questions raised by the client and then relate information back to the HR contact/applicant
- Draft emails in response to queries by clients
- Delegate appropriate work to legal assistants and support staff, such as typing of forms, copying of documents, and sending out packages
- Follow up with immigration authorities on pending applications
- Enter expiration dates for applicants’ status in tracking system
- Notify clients of upcoming extensions
- Keep individual client status charts updated (where required)
- Ensure that lawyers are always advised of client related issues that come to your attention
- Participate actively in meetings of the professional staff of the law firm
May be required to attend seminars and professional development courses that are relevant to your area of specialty
To qualify for this role you must have
- Undergraduate University Degree, College Diploma, or equivalent experience
- Canadian Business Immigration experience is an asset
- Must be highly organized and have the ability to communicate effectively
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong attention to detail